Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Music is my food for the soul #3

Listening to: silverfilter - In a Manger (2009 Devotion)

Right now, I feel: Exhausted

(Note this post was edited last October 15, 2009. I was sleepy last night that my thoughts became in-cohesive.)

Yesterday, at 9 pm. I went to Route 196 for the first time. I was there for silverfilter's album launch. It was my first time to see him play live and my first time to be able to get an album of his.

I still remember the gig last night. It was a blast though I wasn't able to finish the whole show. I was sleepy since I was up since 6 am yesterday. I was so excited and happy to be in the album launch.

Silverfilter's real name is Cyril. I have heard of him before since a lot of people were clamoring about his 1st album (which is an EP) titled "In the Mean Time". It was 4 years back that I became more in love with electronica. Especially the local electronica artist.

I have been following him around his My Space account and now his Twitter. I love the remixes he did on Wolfmann's Diner and Bagetsafonik's Travelouge album. The tracks he made on the said albums are the first time I heard of his music.

He's more into the techno, house and dance side of electronica. Though he has this chill-out and Nu-skool breaks influences in him. I have been clamoring for his albums but too bad, I can't find all of it. Cy, please re-issue your albums. Kahit para sa akin lang. =)

It was really nice meeting this guy. I was able to buy his new album plus I got a shirt which is really cool! (Though it didn't fit, I know I'll be able to wear it one day!) I was able to get a freebie too! His compilation of his remixes he did for different artist and bands! It is titled "The Interpreter".

He had his album launch dedicated to the victims of Ondoy. All of his earnings will go to the said people. It was really so nice of him to do that. Wala talaga siyang kikitain dun. Lugi na nga siya sa gasolina pa lang ng kotse niya. But then he didn't hesitated to do such act. It is the reason why I went to his album launch. Just to join and support his cause. The great music and the album is just a bonus anyways. And meeting him? Well, that's the prize I get for coming that night.

He had other artist perform for his event. As he said, "I want all untapped artist have an exposure." It was really a great idea. More exposure means more chance to hone their music skills. I love this one artist (though I forgot his name) that uses voices coming from radio news anchors and other stuff, then he'll add some blips and other electronic effects in it. It feels like I am on a plane. The hip-hop artist NothingElse also preformed. He came from the hip-hop collective called A.M.P.O.N.

When it was silverfilter's turn to perform, I left my table and stood up as I watched him. He played some remixes from his new album. It is really great to meet and see this man perform. I was really in the mood to dance but my body was too weak and sleepy.

Cy, thanks a lot for the great night. Bitin ako pero I'll see you again in one of your gigs. God bless us for musicians like you!

2 comments:

Cyril said...

I should be the one thanking you bro!!! :) I appreciate the great review of the launch and the kind words. I shall make you a copy of In The Meantime. Promise. Your blog was a nice read. All the while I thought you just stumbled upon my account on Twitter. It's nice to know people who've been listening to my tunes from way back. :)

Unknown said...

You're very much welcome Cy! I really love your music. Thanks for liking your blog. Can't wait to watch your gigs again!