Friday, November 13, 2009

From the vault #4

Listening to: Usher - U Got It Bad (2001 8701)

Right now, I feel: Nostalgic and sad

Hello there! It has been a while since I updated my blog. I wasn't able to go to the gym since I feel sick since Monday. I will make another post about the things that happened for the whole week, maybe later this morning or afternoon.

I am a comic aficionado for almost a year now. I have great comics and graphic novels like Watchmen and Trese. I remember when I was a kid, my cousin have lots of comics coming from X-Men and other Marvel guys. He even had this Death of Superman saga that I really liked. I don't read that much when I was a kid, I just love the comics due to their kick ass drawings. But I remember almost every scene on every comic I've read. I even remember my cousin having this magazine all about comics and the price guides for each of them. As far as I can remember, my cousin was more into the comics coming from a new company called Image Comics. It was the time when artist from Marvel with the likes our pinoy Whilce Portacio and Jim Lee left the company due to some disputes about their creations and works. I fell in love with the comics coming from Image Comics such as Wild C.A.T.S, Wetworks, The Maxx and Youngblood. There was this another comic company that I became interested in, the Valiant comics. The titles I liked was only Bloodshot and X-O Manowar. As I've said before, I only like these comics before due to their drawings and their kick ass covers. Some are embossed or have this chromium effect that was like a first time for me to see in such comics.

I am sharing you this because last Monday, while my girlfriend was having her sore throat checked up, I was checked out Planet X Comics in Glorietta 4. They're selling comics for 20 pesos each with a buy 5 and get 1 free. I looked for some old titles and was able to found 1st issue titles. Here's the list:

Youngblood #0 and Youngblod: Strikefile #1
The Maxx #s 1-3
ShadowHawk II #2
Bloodshot #0-1
Shaman's Tears #1
Deathblow #1
Turok: The Dinosaur Hunter #1
Wildstar #1

I liked what I got and found myself nostalgic when I was digging up these titles. My girlfriend even helped me find comics that I liked.

Here's a picture of what I got.




I really became nostalgic at that time remembering the day that I loved comic books. Tuesday came and I went with my younger brother Kiko to Trinoma for the usual grocery chores. I went to Neutral Grounds since I became interested in playing Magic: The Gathering again. I used to play this when I was in high school and I played it almost everyday. It was just too time consuming to me and it eats up a lot of my money. I tried to join tournaments but I became frustrated when I always loose and can't build a nice deck to play so I stopped when I was in my first year in college. I tried to play it again a couple of years back, but since I work in a call center before and the low salary I was getting at that time, I decided to quit for good. I sold all my cards and the only thing that is left are cards that are no use for a good deck to build around. I am still thinking about it if I will play. Maybe I can start next year and I'll just do my research about it for now. i just hope it won't eat much of my time and my money as well.

Here's one of my favorite cards.




Right now I asked my friend Chigo on how he manage to play and spend money for these game since it cost a lot! Right now a pack is 160 pesos with 15 cards and a single card can cost as high as a thousand pesos. It really depends of the demand of the card and the rarity as well.


I just really feel nostalgic and sad somehow since it seems like I can't cope with the cost and time it can consume on it. My girl doesn't even like the idea of me playing that game I gain. It's been days that I've been thinking about this and giving consideration on a lot of factors that can or might be affected if I do play again. But right now, let me go nuts about two things that I love to collect before and falling in love again to them now.

Sometimes, old habits just don't die.

4 comments:

l_i_z said...

Wow... one look at the title and I thought it's MTG's FROM THE VAULTS: Dragon; and then I read on and found 2 interesting cards. Right now, birds of paradise costs from 350-500. Yeah right, MTG is such an expensive hobby. :)

Time to play?

Lizzy said...

Kulang na supply ng zen boxes. Huhu. Di makabili rin ng Baneslayer angel. :(

Unknown said...

Sorry for the late reply Liz. I know it is hard to find that card. The game is really tempting but it is not for me anymore. So I decided not to play MTG anymore.

bern said...

aliw ang mga cards na 'yun! just got one though, someone named Gyakutenno Megami, from a friend. :)