Sunday, November 08, 2009

I am a gym class hero! #3

Listening to: Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough (2001 Fahrenheit Fair Enough)

Right now, I feel: Sleepy

Wow! It has been months since I didn't post anything new about my gym adventure. Well let me make up for the time loss.

I am now on my 2nd month of going to the gym. From the weight of 269 pounds, I am now at 249 pounds. The progression seems to be a little bit slow since I was able to trim down to 260 pounds in the first 2 weeks alone and then 250 pounds after my first month and now I am on my 2nd week of my second month and I am somehow stuck at 249 pounds. Blame the too much I deserve to drink and eat out. For the rest of November I will eat less and gym more.

Apart from the pig out and drinking session, I can also blame October since it wasn't a good month for me, thus making me too lazy to go to they gym. I can go and have a 3 hour work out but I can only do it 2-4 times a week. Congratulate me if I can finish 6 days in a week of work out.

I also lost the drive of working out since my gym instructor resigned and I felt like I was left all alone with all the progress that I made. Even with a new gym instructor, I didn't feel comfortable asking for help, I feel like the new guys is the one who doesn't care for you and doesn't even thought of taking over the gym members the previous gym instructor handled. So I decided to have my work out in the early morning (6 am.), I just have a mindset that I can do the work out on my own. Then, after a few weeks only the new instructor left again.

A few days before November came, a new gym instructor came, I thought not to seek for advice if I need a new program or for any assistance at all, since I had a feeling that this new guy won't handle my weight loss program and monitor my progress as well. But after a couple of day. After doing my usual treadmill run and the elliptical work out he approached me and said "Mag circuit ka." To which I was surprised, not from the fact that he told me what to do, but I feel like I was being given an advice to do something new. My interpretation of doing a circuit is my usual routine of doing crunches and doing some light weight lifting. I told him that I usually do my crunches first. Since I still have a big stomach, he told me that doing crunches are not recommended to me since it will just make my abs or stomach stiff having an effect of making it smaller. The new instructor told me to just do a high intensity but light work out that focuses on my cardio, arms and legs. The result will make sweat more than what I usually do.

He introduced me to a new program. The first thing I did was a bicep curl up and triceps pull down. Then he told me to run as fast as I can with raising my knees up to my waist or as high as I can. I was sweating a lot after running 8 times! I felt like I'm gonna pass out since I was running out of breath and my heart beats soo fast. I took a rest and he told me to jump with my feet together. He added that I need to jump diagonally like making a zigzag line. It made me sweat more that my shirt looked like it just came from the washing machine. After a few break he introduced me to do some dumbbells with a weight of 5 pounds and a step box. I did some lifting with the variations of either raising my knees or stretching my legs sideways or backwards with 20 repetitions each. I swear, it really made me exhausted but I can the results of what I am doing right away. The sweat coming out all over my body felt so good. Plus the fact that with each workout I can feel my heart thumping hard and fast, not to the point like I am having a cardiac arrest but I can really my heart work out as well. The last part of the program was the dumbbells work out still but this time I have to move my leg to the front while the other one is stretched backward and being the leg the is stretched. It was really a nice work out. He even boasted that I can stop using the treadmill and just do the new program he gave me. I remember him telling me "Kaya bang maglabas ng ganyang karaming pawis ang pagtakbo mo ng 30 minutes sa treadmill?" I just smiled as a sign of agreeing with his point.

The only drawback with my new program is that I felt my muscles got tightened up to the point that I find it hard to take a sit. My legs hurt big time but after a doing the new program, the pain subsides and I can withstand the cramps I am getting.

I was doing the new program for a week now. But last Friday, he gave me a new program as well. Before I do the running with my knees raised up high, he told me to run sideways 8 times. I felt my legs tightening up again since this is a new routine for me. After that, I did the running thing that I usually do as my first part of the work out, then he had me do the same thing again but this time I have a long rubber strapped around my waist with the other end attached to a pole. The effect was a mix of torturing my legs and feet but it made me sweat out a lot and feel my heart on a work out as well. But the exciting part is that he had me lift some weights. I used the 10 pounds dumbbells to do my arms raise front and side ways. He also made me the triceps and biceps work out using only 1 bar as its weight. I did it with 3 set of 15 repetitions. I did some bicep curls on a barbel while I am seated but my arms are inclined downwards. I did the shoulder lift as well and the leg curls. But the most painful part is the arm pull. I don't really know what this work out is called, I'll ask my instructor about this! It is a workout where your arm is bent on a 90 degree angle and you pull the weight backwards making your arm stretched. I felt the triceps on both of my arms hardening up and the pain is just unbearable. Good thing I was able to finish it.

He explained to me that I need to do some weight lifting so my muscles won't sag and have a form. At the same time it can train my arms to do more repetitions when I do my dumbbell work out. He told me that I can do the said work outs every other day. So I have 2 new programs for me. One is for burning my fats and for heart conditioning and the other is a weight lifting one.

Right now, my arms hurt as they are stiff and I can't even stretch it straight. It is somehow bent. Imagine that you have a broken arm and you have a arm sling strapped around your neck. That's how my arms look like. But hey, no pain no gain right? SO bring it on!

I can't wait for Monday. Here comes the pain!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

3 comments:

R. said...

WOW! Ambilis. All that progress is amazing! Good job ha and keep it up. You really need to lift weights to avoid sagging. I was told the same thing too months ago because I really kill myself with my cardio training, but I'm sure you'd want to firm up right?Ü

l_i_z said...

HAHA. Keep working out. And magmagic ka din minsan. Para pati brain maexcercise! ^_^

http://lizspeaks2.blogspot.com/
http://liezl-read-write.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

@Russ: Mabilis ba? Pakiramdam ko ang bagal ng progress e. Thanks a lot. I really need it now. Yeah I really want to firm up tapos background music ko is Macho Gwapito. =)

@Liz: Mahal kasi ng magic e. Though I want to try it.