Saturday, December 17, 2005

The first article

I made this while I was in Starbucks in Araneta Center, Cubao. I was just inspired on the spot on what I see there. Well, at least something to do after 2 hours of nerve wrecking Jose Rizal finals. I got to edit this article once I arrived home.

Observing the coffee shop hype


The coffee shop, it is the status quo of today’s society. It is a norm these days. Almost every one for sure, had been to one. For some people, it is part of their daily routine, maybe another way to kill time to spend the day or night with someone. Whatever reasons people have, going to a coffee shop is the way to go.

Coffee shops evolve and grow in a rapid rate every year. I can pass by one once I stepped out of my house, and pass by another one as soon as I arrived in my destination. The whole metro alone has many coffee shops. From the mainstream Starbucks, Seattle’s Best and Coffee bean & Tea leaf, to the few branches of Figaro (since I rarely see one) and the Australian based Mocha Blends. Plus the fact that there are a lot of local coffee shops that opens and splurge out in every school and business areas. Anywhere you go, for every 800 meters to a mile, you can spot a coffee shop.

Everyone is a coffee addict. I myself, admit to be one. So everyone goes to these establishments to have a treat of their favorite coffee or maybe a tea. But for me, going to coffee shop has a lot of reasons. It is not just for the sake of going there to have a dosage of caffeine. For this, we will talk about the reasons of people and social effects that it brings. All facts that are written here are all based on my observations and experience hanging out in a coffee shop.


The social effect of the coffee havens.


I find it odd that these coffee shops are always full with people everyday. I can see one sitting in a chair having their coffee with friends, or even a person hanging out and reading a book (I find it odd and funny to see one). People go here in numbers, that it is so ironic that these said establishments are more like a church (ouch! That just hits me!). If only the church has the option or decide to change their mass venues, they will definitely choose the coffee shops.

Well it is not bad nor is it good to be here. That will depend on the person who goes there. If you go to church as you go to coffee shops religiously, then good for you. But this will really hit hard for the people who are ignoring some responsibilities of their different aspects in life like self, social, religious responsibilities (I am one of those people who miss their religious responsibilities I have to admit). It is now a saddening fact that people in a so much fast-paced society, who are always on the go, have time to fall in line for a grandè latte for 15 minutes while missing out the 15 minutes that they should focus on something else. Well everything has its pros and cons. One has just to weigh things out on how to manage everything they do. I will not go on further on these topics, as I feel guilty about it.


The reasons behind the coffee shops.


But what’s up with these establishments? I mean, why are they so “hot” these days. It is more like a Beatles era where people go gaga over them. Right now, as I was writing this article in my scratch book in a coffee shop, I came to different people on how they utilize their time in a coffee shop. I realized as to why people go to these places.

For one, I saw people most of the time if I’m passing by or spending my 2 hours in a coffee shop, reading books. As Sean Connery said in the movie Finding Forrester, “people read books just to get laid.” I agree for what he said. That is my viewpoint. People go there and read books because they want to get laid. It is more like someone reading a newspaper in a train over rush hour, so other people think they are cool and that is cute. Yeah, I may sound like I’m generalizing here, but why would someone, in all places, read a book in a coffee shop filled with people who are nothing compared to a Dolby digital sound system in cinemas? Read it somewhere else! Read it in the comfort of your own home, in your room, much better if you do it in a library, but never, ever, in a coffee shop. This goes to anyone who read books in public utility vehicles.

For sure, people will react to what I had said. They will rebut with something like “Then why write something in a coffee shop?” Simple answer, it is a different thing. People tend to write in everywhere. It is an accepted and known fact that people write in public places. I write everywhere, coffee shops included. It is my way where I can take down notes about things that just came in my mind so I won’t forget them. Bottom line is, writing in coffee shops is a different thing and it is ok to do it.

Another observation will be that coffee shops became a “social tool”. People go there to social for whatever reasons they have. People utilize these establishments to meet people and gather up to socialize. It became a medium for people to do their social responsibilities. Funny fact about it is that people don’t go on a date with someone in restaurants or those cheesy romantic places. They do it in coffee shops over a treat of Sumatra-Decaf and Sulawesi. Another unique thing with coffee shops is that it became the new conference room for the corporate world. Executives do a client meeting or they go over business proposals in these places.

People have a lot of specific reasons on going to the so-called coffee havens. One of them is to unwind, or to chill as what the yuppies will say. They go there and have a dose of Rhumba Frappuccino and an oatmeal cookie. Sitting there, chilling out, having a sip, and smoking a cigarette! Definitely a killer combo for these yuppies. A new way to let out the stress they got at work.


Reasons by gender


Aside from the general reasons as to why people go to coffee shops, Let us talk about the reasons for each gender or sexual preferences. First off, the women. Women go there to have a certain chill out style of spending a day, or to go there with a date or meet their friends (so as to men). But as I has observed, women go there with a different reasons at the same time. They go there to flaunt their new hairstyle, or their rebounded hair. You will notice these women fix their hair and look at their mirror every 30 minutes or so. Even to a point that they are wearing those new released designs from Bayo or Plains & Prints. Showing off those sexy and skin revealing clothes. Where men would stare at them for minutes, if not, for time to time.

But what is more exciting whenever I’m at these places are observing how the third sex (yup, the gays and the lesbians), go try their luck. Whatever their intentions are. I mostly observe these people as they go alone or in a group and try their luck by, approaching one and talking to that person and hit on them. This goes to men and women too. But it is funny to see these unique people do their thing. I got my own experience about it (some are good and most are worst!); even a friend of mine has a funny side of her story about it. Well, as I had said before, it is a medium for socialization. Flirting is included.

My most exciting observation is about men going to coffee shops. Yes, us. Where some (the geek and the feeling geek) with their books and reading glasses combined. The cool and the feeling cool men hanging around just to dig some chicks. Men go there for one primary reason, to do some sight seeing. They stay there for hours, just for the sake of fulfilling their eyes with almost naked clad women in their most alluring and skin revealing clothes. Trying out their luck to meet one and maybe, just maybe met one “Eve” to get their hormones up and running… again. Just by going there, hanging out and looking at these women gives such a delight for men. (I included)


So-called conclusion


These facts are enough for us to be amazed and still go to coffee shops. Whatever our own reasons are, our day won’t be enough if we haven’t been to one; at least once a month. Truly coffee shops had change the way people live. It has change dramatically where before, it is a trend. Now, it became a lifestyle for most people. Coffee shops are now here to stay to fulfill everyone’s caffeine needs. Teas included.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Before I end this so-called article of mine, let me share you what I just saw. A while ago, there is this young woman in a very sexy and almost provocative clothing sitting next to me in a another table. She borrowed my lighter and after that, we are sharing a table right now. Oh I just love hanging out in coffee shops!

3 comments:

vayie said...

My late boyfriend once said that people go to Starbucks, Seattle's and Figaro just to be seen...whether they'd admit it or not. Six years ago, coffee shops aren't that popular and people can live without a it, but because some people thought that it was cool to be seen in one (you know, sosi ka nga naman and all) that they go to places like that until it grows into some kind of habit, then afterwards, into a mild case of addiction.

Sure, there are people who go there to unwind...but you have to admit not all of them have the same reason. Talagang may hype lang kasi, to be "in" kumbaga.

Just my POV.

jason said...

nice piece.. ok na sana kaso ang ending ay fiction

TENENENENENENENENEN BRUCHES!

haahahahahah

Brian said...

hoy! bruches ka! di fiction yung ending. it happened in real life. want her number as proof? Tenenen tenen!