Thursday, August 06, 2009

You get me closer to GOD!

Listening to: Nine Inch Nails - Closer (1994 The Downward Spiral)

Right now, I feel:Nostalgic

The title of this blog says it all. August 5, 2009 at 7:45pm, I did experience another turning point in my life. I was able to watch Nine Inch Nails at Araneta Coliseum in Cubao. Despite the rain and the havoc that Tropical Storm Kiko brought upon the metro, I was able to go still with my friend Marvin. It was Nine Inch Nails! It is something that I cannot pass by. As confirmed over the internet, Trent Reznor decided to put the band on an indefinite hiatus in touring and making albums. It has been 20 years for him and he is the only member that really stayed while the rest of the line up are changed from time to time.

It was really a great concert and before I tell you everything about it let's all go back to the times on how I appreciate Trent Reznor and
his group Nine Inch Nails.

As I recall, the first time I saw them was on chann
el V when it was a free channel on UHF 27 I guess (correct me if I am wrong on this one). I am on my 3rd year in highschool and it was 1998. I was able to watch the video The Perfect Drug which already blows me away. The reason is because it is a rock music and it was the main genre I was so into, But then, I wasn't really into metal at that time but that song really caught my attention. Why? It is because of the drum beats. One thing is for sure that the sounds of the drum beat wasn't made or produced from a drum kit. The beat was too fast for someone to do it. I was thinking that it was somehow an electronic instrument that was used for that. Wait?!? Electronic instrument in a heavy metal music??? I thought to myself that anything that produces a beep or a bleep sound is only used for disco music or party music. Something that you can dance. From that point I was really in awe with the band. But it didn't last as I don't want to backtrack the music of the group at that time. I was more into Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots and some emerging rock groups at that time like Blink 182.

After 7 years that I was able to hear the
m again. Thanks to my friend Marvin telling me that it is one of his favorite band. I was able to evolve a better taste in music as well at that time. I was hooked with them. Who wouldn't forget their songs like The Perfect Drug, Head like a Hole and their classic song Closer.

The line of that song just really gets my attention. Back in 2001 I was able to hear the chorus first from Limp Bizkit's song Hot Dog from their third album "Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water". I said to myself that the chorus is similar but I can't point as to where it came from. Then I was able to hear the song C
loser by Nine Inch Nails and I concluded from there that Fred Durst borrowed the chorus of the said song and added some words the relates to the song "The Perfect Drug".

The chorus of Closer goes by this:
"I want to fuck you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to fuck you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to God"

I just really love that song! It seems per
fect for such mad and crazy sex at night. =)

From that point I started to love Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor. He really made me closer to God.

Now let's go back to m
y concert adventure. I picked up Marvin from his place around 7pm since the show will start at 7:30.


There were already a lot of people lining up. I was too excited to go that on my way to Marvin's place, I forgot my ticket and I need to go back to my place and to his. We went inside and were so so happy with the seats that we got.


This is our view from our seat. Pretty near to the stage. I love lower box and at 2,625 pesos it is all worth it!

I was able to get some great photos during the concert and we did some candid shots as well. I came out to be the photographer (as always) that night.


Marvin looking like wetting his pants when we arrived at our seats.


Our tickets.


Posing candidly while waiting for the show to start.


Pupil fronted the concert. They started it with Different Worlds and ended it with Disconnection Notice. They performed another song maybe because Nine Inch Nails has not arrived at that time. They had a guess artist too from a band Electro from Singapore.

After Pupil it was a long wait for us since they are doing some last minute set up and sound checks. They even checked the lights too.


Marvin and I goofing around while waiting.

We went around the coliseum and looked around. I was able to see some rock figures that watched the concert too. Jason Caballa of Pedicad, Vin Dancel of Peryodiko, Marizel Sarangelo aka Tuesday Vargas from Top Junk, Kevin Roy of Razorback and Francis Reyes of the Dawn and DJ at NU107. Based on their twitter accounts, Carlo TaƱada and Pol Yap of Up Dharma Down went also.


The placed wasn't filled up as we expected but the energy showed by the watchers is equivalent to a sold out concert. The show was just intense! Here are some shots from the concert.


I was able to get some nice shots though I relied too much on the digital zoom of my camera. This calls for me getting a super zoom compact camera. You can check the other pics at my Friendster photo album to get a better grasp on what happened during the concert.

And this is the set list performed by Nine Inch Nails.

Nine Inch Nails Setlist Araneta Coliseum, Manila, Philippines 2009, Wave Goodbye

But the picture of the night goes to this man.

Kudos to you whoever you are. Showing the laban sign during the concert is just awesome!

The concert lasted for 2 hours. Not bad! It was my first time to watch a concert and a foreign one too! It was really a memorable night for me and my friend Marvin.

Really, Nine Inch Nails made me closer to God!

No comments: