Monday, March 21, 2005

Buying a digicam, A dumbass salesman

Finally I got my eyes in the digital camera that I want. I now choose the Canon PowerShot G6. After more than 2 months of planning which camera I want. I finally decided to buy this one. It was a grueling process before I decided to buy this one. The digital camera I really want and was drooling for was the Canon PowerShot G5. Since I researched on it and it got great reviews and it even has accessories I can buy. When I ordered it from an on-line retailer, they called me back the next day informing me that the PowerShot G5 is phased out and they're not selling it anymore. I just asked them why is it that the said product is still being shown on their website. The sales person just told me that they haven't updated their database or inventory. Stupid! That is one of the dumbest reason I heard! Why? Coz if you are running an online business, you'll always have your site updated if not 24/7 at least every 2 days. Heck! Even hospitals updates their database so what's up with those boneheads not updating theirs? Anyways, I was about to say that I'll try check their website for another camera, the salesman offered me a different digital camera; A Canon PowerShot S70. He's telling me that it has a wider view angel and it's a 7.1 megapixels digicam (the G5 only has 5 megapixels), better than the PowerShot G5. The salesman having no idea that I already did my research looking for a digicam, was saying too much stuff that I just thought - He's trying to upsell me. Upsell meaning, an attempt to persuade a customer to purchase a more expensive item. Well though the G5 (even though it was really phased out) is much more expensive at around $560 compared to the S70 at $500, the salesman was selling me a package with memory cards, and leather bags for $580. I tried to ask him the brand name of the memory card and the size of it. He told me it's a Kingston 256MB of Compact Flash Type II memory card and a generic leather bag. And I was flabbergasted with what the dumb ass sales person said! I just declined his offer and told him again that I will just look for another digicam on the website. He is still offering me the product telling me he can even give me a discount and some freebie. This guy is so desperate to close a sale! I still declined and the guy gave up and stopped on persuading me to buy the digicam. Sounds like a sweet deal right? Nope, not at all. Why? First the leather bag. It's generic! Why would I pay more for a mere $10 or even $5 for a generic leather bag that I can find at Ross? Second, the memory card. I don't trust the brand of Kingston. Though they make good RAM modules their products especially their memory flash cards are slow and not stable, I saw a lot of not so good reviews about their products. And besides I can get 2 of those memory cards for $45. And lastly, Type II memory card? Sure most of the new digicams can accommodate both Type I and Type II flash cards (Type I is about 3.3 mm thick while Type II is 5mm) but as based on my experience on flash cards Type II is a little bit slow. So if you want to take a lot of pictures simultaneously, you need a fast read/write memory card. After that I went ahead to Canon USA's website since I'm running out of time and I really need to buy one. What I'm looking for a digicam is at least 5 megapixels or higher (since I'm planing to print photos at 8"x10" or bigger), a battery pack (I hate those rechargeable AA or AAA batteries) at least 4x optical zoom (don't go for the optical zoom, photo quality will be degraded), and a bigger LCD (2 inches at least). And I found one that will suit for me on the website. A Canon PowerShot G6. An upgrade to the G5, it has 7.1 megapixels, a rechargeable batter pack, 4x optical zoom, and 2 inch of LCD. Nice I thought to myself. Then I see the accessories I can add to this thing. I tried to look for reviews about this said model and I saw good ones. So I decided to order it right away. The cost, $498. I know it's expensive for a digicam but I want a really good one that will really suit my needs,since I'm really beginning to like photography now. I just want to have a good digicam before I decide to go with manual and digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) Whew! Finally I got myself a digital camera! I received an e-mail from the vendor confirming that they received my order and that they are already processing it. That's good news! Can't wait to have it and experiment with it. I just wish no one will call me to upsell something again. Salesman can sometimes be a nuisance.

No comments: