Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Emo: Genre or just another trend?

Emo. Whenever this word comes to my mind, I remember the time when people are using this word as part of their everyday lives. Using the word as an adjective describing their state or situation, or even as an expression. I was curious on what is this "Emo" thing since the first time I heard around 2003. My first idea of the word emo is that it's new type music and teenagers around 15-20 years old are its listeners. I also saw Spin magazine and also other music magazines defining emo as a new genre that was hitting the teens by storm. I wonder why teen are going crazy into it. As I find more and more people going crazy over this genre, I started to have question about emo. There are 2 questions that popped into my mind. They are the following:
1) Why is it called the music for teens?
2) Is it really a genre or just another trend?

As I tried to search on the net for answers Urban Dictionary define Emo as a Genre of softcore punk where it integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year old. It is derived from the emotive style of the lyrics and music. The music has also spawned a subculture which conforms to certain conventions in dress such as tight sweatshirts, tight band T-shirts and horn-rim glasses. Adherents profess to excessively melancholy temperaments. The website MP3.com define emo as an artsy outgrowth of hardcore punk, emo became an important force in underground rock by the late '90s, appealing to modern-day punks and indie-rockers alike. Its brief history says it originated around 1984 and emerged in Washington, D.C. The term "emo" (sometimes lengthened to "emocore") was initially used to describe hardcore bands who favored expressive vocals over the typical barking rants; the first true emo band was Rites of Spring, followed by ex-Minor Threat singer Ian MacKaye's short-lived Embrace. Other artist who went to the emo bandwagon were Fugazi, At The Drive-In, Jimmy Eat World and Weezer; While some new emo artist are My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, A.F.I, Simple Plan, And even Blink 182 are staring slowly to move in to the said genre in its new album. OK, so far, it's a sub genre of Punk, the teens are its target market and people who are into this genre dress in tight shirts and some weird hair styles too. So why the music does fits the teens? First emo is said to be a type of music in where its lyrics are confessional it heavily favors expressive and low pitch vocals. For me with this definition, emo became a security blanket for them. With this type of music, they express how they really feel, confused and angst driven. It's a perfect target market since at this age, people tends to be confuse on what's going on with them and are trying to find a window where they want to let out their anger. Emo is that window for this kids and not another type of music for them. So is it really a genre or a trend then? The way I see the emo scene, it is more of a trend than a genre. Why? First all songs can be emotional and the lyrics can either be confessional or angst driven. All songs can show emotions, like Emo too. So it seems like a certain song can make you cry or sad since the lyrics will be emotional, but the musical approach will just be different with Emo's low pitch vocals and heavily detuned and low pitched guitar riffs. Second, whoever said that Staind's Outside or even A Perfect Circle's 3 Libras didn't make them emotional are stupid. These two songs are an example of two Alternative Rock or Hard Rock music that can show sadness or even frustrations. So I just realized now that emo is not a genre but just a trend where angry teenagers are embracing now as a way to show their anger and other emotions they're hiding inside. I don't hate emo or the artist under it. As a music lover, I just find it weird and pointless for other people to say that it is a genre and go crazy over it. It is way too exaggerated for them to be so "emo". And as I was writing this, I'm currently listening to Tacking Back Sunday's This Photograph Is Proof (I Know You Know). Oh Emo! =)

No comments: